Skip to main content

Perspective

I read a lot of articles and watched a lot of interviews this season where athletes talked about perspective. Many of them mentioned their spouses and children as being responsible for keeping them grounded through their efforts in the pursuit of excellence in sport. According to what I read and heard, when being an Olympic Champion comes second to being part of a loving family the wins become more special and the losses are easier to get over.

That sounds great, but as it turns out I am not a wife or a mother. Heck, I don't even have a boyfriend (but I am accepting applications). I can't tell you what it feels like to come off the ice after being crushed by a devastating loss and be consoled by the love of my life. I've never looked up into a crowd to see my kid cheering me on and felt like no matter what happens in the game I'm still going to be somebody's hero at the end of the day.

My perspective comes from somewhere else.

One warm summer night about 9 years ago, I found myself sitting with my dad on the patio of our local pub splitting a pitcher of beer. I don't remember exactly what we were talking about, but something he said has stuck with me all this time. He told me that he and my mom had done their very best to give me every opportunity in life, but that for whatever reason a lot of crappy things just seemed to keep on happening to me. I almost started to cry into my pint glass because I realized that we both felt helpless against the terrible things that life will throw at you despite all of your best efforts.

Things like watching your friends and family members go through cancer. Things like becoming a little too familiar with the feeling of finding out that a loved one has been killed in a car crash. Things like learning that your classmate died in a fire when he wasn't even supposed to be at home. Things like saving your friend from committing suicide. Things like not being able to save your friend from committing suicide. Things like trying to figure out what to do after your friend tells you that she's been raped. Things like finding out the hard way that putting your trust in someone could turn out to be the biggest mistake of your life.

For me, perspective doesn't come from the best days of my life. It didn't happen from reading my wedding vows or holding my newborn baby in my arms because I haven't experienced those things yet. I wouldn't wish my darkest day on my worst enemy, but in a weird way I am grateful for that pain because it has made me who I am. I am a stronger person for having been through hell and back and I know how tough my character is. I know how lucky I am to have so many amazing, loving, supportive people in my life and I don't take them for granted. I know that when times get tough a sense of humour and bit of grit will go a long way.

When it comes to sport (specifically curling) I still take the losses hard, but that's because I'm passionate about what I do. I know in my heart that it isn't life or death. I know that there are more important things than trophies, banners, and glory. My future husband and children may be currently imaginary, but my family, friends, and my goofy dog George are all very real. I know that no matter what obstacles get thrown our way I can count myself lucky for every day that we're all still here.

 That, to me, is having perspective.

Me and my fur-baby George

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing up a Curler - pt. 1

I grew up in a curling club. Before I was old enough to throw a rock, I would spend countless hours at the Granite Curling Club of West Ottawa playing with my Polly Pockets under the trophy case while my parents were out on the ice. When they were done, I would squeeze an extra chair around their table, helping myself to their snacks and hot chocolate, absorbed in my own little world and paying very little attention to the conversation going on around me. When my older sister started to play, I was insanely jealous and I suddenly developed an all-consuming interest in the sport. With a 3-year age gap between us, I looked up to my big sister with stars in my eyes. I wanted to do everything she was doing - wear the same clothes, play the same games, have the same friends... a phase of our lives that I'm sure she found irritating to no end. I didn't understand why she didn't want her tag-along little sister hanging around and imitating her every move for every moment of ...

The Hiatus

By the end of my Junior curling career, I had competed in five Ontario Provincial Championships, three OUA Championships, one CIS Championship, and was an OCAA Champion. I won three varsity curling MVP awards from my high school and one in my freshman year in University. In my third year I won a coach-nominated award for my outstanding contribution to the overall athletic program at Trent University. I was not the most decorated curler in my age group, but I had always been a top contender in the Ottawa area. In addition to my curling career, I was a competitive softball pitcher, a competitive soccer player, and was ranked 4th in Ottawa for 1500m track. I played on the A-squad for my middle school's basketball team and while I never tried out for the touch football team I can throw a mean spiral. Gym class was my favourite period and I spent my recesses in grade school playing tennis ball foot hockey in the alley with the boys. I was a jock who preferred to spend my weekends cano...

On Quitting...

I can not begin to count the number of times I have said that I'm going to quit curling. "Curling is stupid and I'm quitting." I've said it after losses that should have been wins, after tough emotional losses, when I have to sacrifice time with friends and family, and sometimes just when I'm tired. Of course, I never really mean it, but there have been a handful of times when I have seriously considered retiring my broom for good.  The first time I even suggested the idea of quitting curling happened when I was in little rocks. Similar to the time when I announced my dislike for gymnastics, I waited until I got home with my parents after the last game of the season and casually said, "I don't think I want to curl next year". My dad just looked at me as if I had told him that I didn't think the Earth was round. When September came around that year I found myself back on the ice.  The second time I wanted to quit the sport I love happen...