Skip to main content

Team Cadorin - The Beginning

People ask me all the time how curling teams are formed. I know that in many other competitive sports players are scouted, invited to training camps, evaluated on their skills, then placed into teams by a governing body and awarded contracts. In curling - at least in Canadian curling - the process usually goes something more like this:

"Hey, what are you doing next year? Are you interested in putting a team together?"
"Sure, let's go for a drink and talk about it."

On the Ontario Curling Tour, you end up playing in tournaments with the same people multiple times per season so we all get to know each other pretty well. We're Facebook friends, real-life friends, competitors, former teammates, mortal enemies... Everyone has some form of a relationship with everyone else.

I knew who Chrissy Cadorin was, but the first time we said more than "good game" to each other during handshakes was one evening in the winter of 2015 in front of the Listowel Curling Club. I was standing outside in the bitter cold, my hands cupped around a mug of hot coffee, having a moment to myself. I had spent the entire day inside the curling club with my team and I just needed a solitary breath of fresh air before the banquet got started. I had been outside for about a minute when Chrissy came out and spotted me.

"Hey, I didn't know you smoke," she said.
"I don't," I replied, "I just needed a minute."
"Yeah, I hear you."

And that was it. I didn't think anything more of it until January 26, 2016 when I received a Facebook message from her asking what my plans were for the next season. At that point my team had already parted ways and I was feeling fairly skeptical about women's curling as a sensible endeavor. I had discovered that it was extremely rare to find 3 other women who were willing and able to commit to the rigors and sacrifice that a competitive curling season entails. I had seen first-hand the amount of training, coaching, practice, time, and money it takes to be the best and I felt like I was ready to go for it. The problem was that not everyone has the same experience and expectations and I was getting tired of being promised a trip to the moon with no intention of building a rocket ship. Nevertheless, I agreed to meet Chrissy at the Royal Canadian Curling Club downtown Toronto to throw a few rocks and have a conversation.

When we sat down on the couches behind sheet A, I confessed my reservations to her. I told her that I was worried about making a commitment with someone who wasn't on the same page about what the team goals are, what its going to take to get there, and a ready willingness to put in the work. She completely agreed and told me that she had the same concerns. We went out onto the ice and threw stones up and down the sheet, analyzing each others deliveries. I knew she was a good player with a lot of previous accomplishments. I knew that she, like me, had been flying under the radar for the past 5 years. I knew that she was an intense and passionate competitor. I thought to myself, 'what the hell, let's give it one last shot' and told her, "I'm in".

Our team was formed: Joanne Curtis at vice, myself at second, Sarah Jagger playing lead, and Chrissy Cadorin leading the charge at skip. I had no idea what to expect...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing up a Curler - pt. 1

I grew up in a curling club. Before I was old enough to throw a rock, I would spend countless hours at the Granite Curling Club of West Ottawa playing with my Polly Pockets under the trophy case while my parents were out on the ice. When they were done, I would squeeze an extra chair around their table, helping myself to their snacks and hot chocolate, absorbed in my own little world and paying very little attention to the conversation going on around me. When my older sister started to play, I was insanely jealous and I suddenly developed an all-consuming interest in the sport. With a 3-year age gap between us, I looked up to my big sister with stars in my eyes. I wanted to do everything she was doing - wear the same clothes, play the same games, have the same friends... a phase of our lives that I'm sure she found irritating to no end. I didn't understand why she didn't want her tag-along little sister hanging around and imitating her every move for every moment of ...

The Hiatus

By the end of my Junior curling career, I had competed in five Ontario Provincial Championships, three OUA Championships, one CIS Championship, and was an OCAA Champion. I won three varsity curling MVP awards from my high school and one in my freshman year in University. In my third year I won a coach-nominated award for my outstanding contribution to the overall athletic program at Trent University. I was not the most decorated curler in my age group, but I had always been a top contender in the Ottawa area. In addition to my curling career, I was a competitive softball pitcher, a competitive soccer player, and was ranked 4th in Ottawa for 1500m track. I played on the A-squad for my middle school's basketball team and while I never tried out for the touch football team I can throw a mean spiral. Gym class was my favourite period and I spent my recesses in grade school playing tennis ball foot hockey in the alley with the boys. I was a jock who preferred to spend my weekends cano...

On Quitting...

I can not begin to count the number of times I have said that I'm going to quit curling. "Curling is stupid and I'm quitting." I've said it after losses that should have been wins, after tough emotional losses, when I have to sacrifice time with friends and family, and sometimes just when I'm tired. Of course, I never really mean it, but there have been a handful of times when I have seriously considered retiring my broom for good.  The first time I even suggested the idea of quitting curling happened when I was in little rocks. Similar to the time when I announced my dislike for gymnastics, I waited until I got home with my parents after the last game of the season and casually said, "I don't think I want to curl next year". My dad just looked at me as if I had told him that I didn't think the Earth was round. When September came around that year I found myself back on the ice.  The second time I wanted to quit the sport I love happen...